Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Grandma's Marathon FELTSTOCK 2014

"There is no better way to thank God for your sight than by giving a helping hand to someone in the dark."
Helen Keller

A little over a week ago I was afforded the opportunity to guide a vision impaired runner during Grandma's marathon. It's kind of crazy how it all happened and worked out. 

A few months ago we started building a group of Red Felt Run Club members from all over the country to come up and run Grandma's. Someone from the group reached out to the race director Bill Brown. Thru Facebook many of us got to know him in the months preceding the race. He even joined our run club and friended many, if not all of us, that were signed up to run. 

Anyway my training was going really well and I filled my running calendar with races. Grandma's marathon posted that they were looking for a guide for a vision impaired runner. I answered the post knowing that it was a shot in the dark as to whether I would be chosen. All I said was,"pace? Interested." Bill answered me right back and said 4hr pace. I thought about it for about a minute and knowing how well training was going I replied via email explaining all my previous finish times. It was eerie how they matched up. I've had 3:58, 3:59, 3:59, 4:03, 4:13, and a 4:15. I knew I had a sub 4 in me and that I would love the opportunity to help out. Bill, knowing that we had a good sized group must have decided that we could give Steve(the vision impaired runner) a fun race experience, chose me. He said I was the guy and that he was confident that me along with some of our Red Felters would be a perfect fit. I thought our group would too, but I could only speak for myself as far as committing to guide. I had asked one other runner, but he was using Grandma's as a Boston Qualifier. He did say he'd help if I needed him. He said," there will be other races I can always try to qualify at." That's how most runners are. Always willing to help. At the time I wasn't too concerned because training was going so well.  

Then in May I even crushed my 50K PR by 50 minutes. That put me on course to easily run a sub 4hr @Grandma's. However, when your running 26.2 miles it is never easy. My knee started killing me again. Worried, I reached out to a fellow club member, who had been posting some really good times for his recent runs. Mynor was not only happy to help. He looked at it the same way I did. He looked at it not only as a great opportunity to help someone in need, but something he would remember for the rest of his life. Between the 50k and grandma's my training was terrible. I was only able to run a few times. I started going to the chiropractor twice a week for what I thought was IT band issues. After 3 weeks of no improvement I was sent for an MRI the week of the race. The day after the MRI I saw the orthopedic surgeon and he gave me a cortisone shot in hopes that it would get me thru the race. I feared failing big time! I didn't want to wreck the race for Steve. I can't tell you how thankful I am that I had Mynor there to help. 

We all got to meet up at the expo and share a meal together the night before the race. Steve got to meet many of our run club members at dinner as well as Mynor and myself for the first time. Steve was with his son Danny. Danny assisted his Dad thru the Expo and at dinner. I watched as Danny told him where his food was on his plate by referring to the hands of a clock. Spaghetti at 6 o'clock. Bread at 12 o'clock. We got to ask more questions as to what he would need from us during the race. Basically he needed a warning if there was a bad spot in the roadway and help getting water or Gatorade. Other than that he would grab an elbow real lightly if he felt a need, but for the most part he could run unassisted. 

Race morning we all met to ride the train to the start. Steve and his family were running a little behind because they missed a turn and because of all the traffic. I was on the phone with them and talked them in right to where the train was leaving from. Danny and Steve got out of the car and hugged goodbye. Steve was now in our hands. Having no experience helping someone that couldn't see we did our best to get him on the train safely. The big steps leading up into the train, the skinny little isles, the seat arms, and the upper level head knocker above our seats were a rude awakening for me. 
We made it to the start with no major issues. 

As the race was about to start we made our way to the 4hr start area. Then we were off. We started off well below our goal pace then settled in a little. Mynor ran on the left and just ahead and I ran on the right next to Steve. I've never really run at someone else's pace before. It wasn't as easy as I thought. Steve would surge up to his music when a song would come on that he liked. We were doing great. The surging was taking a toll on my quads however. Mynor and I would take turns getting Steve beverages. One water and one Gatorade per water station. We reached the half way point well ahead of 4hr pace. Steve and Mynor were looking strong. I was quickly unraveling however. Less than a mile later I had to drop back as I began to cramp. We were a team of three. I made my small contribution early and by choosing the perfect person to help me get Steve to the finish. When they left me I actually didn't feel bad. I knew Steve was in good hands with Mynor. Had it not been for Mynor this race would have been one of my biggest failures ever. Because of Mynor not only was this a success it was one of my favorite race experience to date. 

The rest of the race was a struggle for me. Passing Every medical tent I had an excuse to quit. My knee was injured and swollen, but I chose to continue. Knowing my time was going to be one of if not my worst yet I still continued on. I knew my wife and kids were with our run club set up near mile 19. That got me there. Seeing there faces kept me going.  

As I came into downtown I started taking pictures, high fiving little kids, and talking to more people. I even had a beer or 2 from those cheering on the sideline. I met and ran with a girl coming up lemon drop hill. We chatted a while. She and her husband were going to school to be pastors. She had just recently had her 4th child. Then as I was about to turn for the last mile and head around the DECC I was passed by Eric Stand.(a guy I found on YouTube that runs the Grandma's Double) he runs from the finish to the start and back to the finish. 52.4 miles. I asked him about how his run went on the way out. He does it as prep for Leadville 100 miler in August. http://youtu.be/97awLCtJYwc

I was able to pick up the pace for the last mile. I crossed the finish line of my 7th marathon at 4:23 and some change. My slowest finish yet. After my other slowest I went in for my 1st knee surgery. It's looking like I'm back at that stage again. I have 3 trail races coming up within the next couple months. I am unsure if I will make it thru any of them. Then it may be a year of recovery before I am able to get some running miles in if at all.

After getting my shirt and medal I quickly went looking for My team. I called Danny and updated him on our race. I got ahold of Mynor and Steve. I congratulated them on making it in just under goal pace. I was thrilled for them both. Danny met back up with us and we all headed to get our drop bags. As I walk up I hear my name. It's none other than the race director Bill Brown. We finally meet and he picks me out of the crowd by name. The guy is amazing. He tells us how he had 135 volunteers signed up and only 35 showed. So there he was doing the bag pick up after working thru the night helping set up the race course.

Steve parted ways with us to go shower up. I invited his family back to our house for the after party. Mynor and I headed to the beer tent to meet up with our fellow felters. I stayed and visited for a few. Then I had to head back to start cooking for the after party.

The after party was a blast. About 35 people showed up. Most of them had run and were in the run club. We made a bon fire, enjoyed some adult beverages, and like Bob says,"talked smart" until about midnight. The night could have gone on forever. It felt as if I had known these people my whole life. 

Steve told us on the ride up to the start,"he doesn't feel bad about losing his sight. He feels it has opened doors to meeting some pretty amazing people over the years." I totally get that. That's how I feel about this opportunity. I am grateful to have been a part of this. I am grateful running has brought all these wonderful people into my life.

Will I be able to finish my 3 races left on the schedule? I don't know. I was back to the Doc for a rooster comb shot and to get fitted for an unloading brace. I also purchased a pair of super cushioned Hoka shoes. Hopefully that will all help get my mileage up thru the summer so I can finish them races. Only time will tell. I do know that if I can't get my miles in training that it would be very unwise to attempt my final race of the summer. The Superior 100. 

Again I'd like to thank Bill Brown for all he did for our run club and for choosing me to guide for Team Sabra. You are an amazing individual! Mynor, words can not explain how thankful I am to you for all you did and for your friendship. Thank you again as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment